Thursday, July 1, 2010

Phones w/Internet

I spent a good part of today searching through Colombo to find places selling phones so that I could get a sense of what kinds of smartphones are available, what their costs were, and what kinds of data/phone plans were in place.

Now, there's absolutely a chance that I was getting a different price from what a native Sri Lankan would have been quoted, and I can factor for that. In general, I was simply looking to see what hardware was available and how different the costs would be. The shocking thing was the lack of available devices and the utter consistency with which they were priced. I was repeatedly quoted the same (or very close) price for the same hardware from store to store. Perhaps I didn't find the stores that would truly offer the deals, but I wasn't sticking to any one location, so I figured I got a pretty good sample of what's available - which, at the end of the day, I can safely say isn't much in terms of devices that will allow internet access.

No comments:

Post a Comment