Tuesday, June 29, 2010

EC class day 1

Today I started the first session with the ECs. I think everyone was a little nervous about how it would go -- me, them, Dilum, Harshani. I decided to try to lower their affective filter by doing some easy introduction activities, then give them a placement test, do some communication games to see what they'd do, then end with a mini-grammar lesson.

My goals for the day were: relax them and get them willing to engage with me; get them engaged and willing to work; figure out their English language level. I met all of these goals today.

The English level of the class is pretty low, and at least 2 students are almost total beginners. But they were very engaged and active, willing to do whatever I asked, unafraid to make mistakes, and got over their natural inclination to be overly respectful to me. I made a little blunder in teaching the grammar lesson in that I asked them to do an activity which was too hard for them, but still I feel like I introduced the material and will go back and reteach next time.

After the class ended, Dilum and Harshani spoke with some of the ECs and the general feeling was that they were surprised at how the class went, thought it would be more tedious than it was, and they were looking forward to seeing what happens next. I told them about the project plans and nobody seemed too worried about it yet.

Having Harshani there was essential because I need to rely on Sinhala some for directions. But I am confident that I can get this group to a place where they can do the project I have planned -- making videos about important things happening on the Farm so that if English speaking visitors come the ECs are prepared to interact with them. Dilum and Harshani and I talked for a while after the class and we all think this project will make the English learning important and immediate for them, which will hopefully allow me to teach them vocabulary and grammar at the same time. If the project is successful, we can build on the learning they made after that.

The caution is that their English level is low, and their confidence in speaking English is almost zero. They all seem to have some vocabulary -- even the lowest 2 students -- but they are virtually unable to construct a sentence. So there is a considerable amount of work to be done here. I am planning to have Elizabeth take over this class almost immediately when she arrives. I also am thinking that 2 times per week is not frequent enough to make any meaningful progress with their English. My suggestion is to add 2 one hour sessions at least while 2 teachers are here, and maybe get some English language cartoons and have them watch those to get practice listening at other times.

Next class is Thursday. I'm not completely sure where to go from here, so more later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment