Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Initial Thoughts

I arrived in Colombo early Sunday morning, and spent most of that day trying to avoid napping. Went for a really nice walk, although it was pretty hot, and got to see some of the city of Colombo. After that, Daniel and I went back to the apartment and rested until dinner time when Prasanna and Charitha came by to take us to dinner, which was wonderful.

On Monday we received an overview of what Saaraketha is all about. I won't review those details here because they can be found on Saaraketha's website and are much more eloquently stated there than I could provide here. The thing that I would like to share is my initial impressions of what Saaraketha is doing. Put simply, I was very impressed with the philosophy behind the actions here. As with any business venture, there is a profit motive behind the project, but that is not the only motivation. The project staff are focusing on positively impacting people's lives while remaining environmentally friendly. All of these are things that I can totally support (including the profit motivation). The key for me is that this project is not simply about profit, but is attempting to put profit within a larger context where other human and environmental actions are just as important. With this as the foundation, and the truly awe-inspiring amount of work that has been put into this project over the last 18 months, I believe that the project is well positioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment