Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Status Update on Daniel's Tasks

This blog is mainly so I can think through the tasks I have and how they are progressing. I want to organize some of my thoughts so I am clear about what I have to do or what recommendations I need to make. But I think it’s also a good opportunity to inform everyone about the status of my projects.

1. Train 7 Wilgamuwa teachers in innovate methodologies, focusing on speaking/listening and project-based activities
Status: This activity is in progress and going well. I have focused on 4 primary methodologies and have already modeled around 8 activities including an entire lesson. The teachers have been increasingly engaged and animated and we are slowly building them into a supportive professional community. Today they will teach demonstration lessons to each other and I hope, next week, to have them practice a project-based activity on the ECs.
Caveats:
* Some of the teachers are already finding the time commitment to be stressful. They teach an average of 7-8 different classes before arriving here, and yesterday did not get home until 7:30. This type of professional development – every day after work for weeks – is unusual. Normally it’s 1-2 times per week. I worry that by the time Elizabeth arrives the classes may be a burden.
* There is a tension between what they need for their everyday teaching and what they need to teach Saaraketha classes. The things they need to learn and need are related but not exactly the same.
* For this training to be meaningful, it must be sustainable beyond my and Elizabeth’s time in Wilgamuwa. Therefore, I believe it is critically important for the teachers to become a collaborative association that supports each other’s efforts to employ novel teaching methods and professionally develop. The challenge is to create structures that will allow them to meet. Two ideas are to have teas (with all 16 English teachers in the Wilgamuwa District) at Saaraketha every 4-8 weeks where the teachers can meet and practice English. Also, they should be encouraged to create an Association of Wilgamuwa English teachers that will plan its own activities. Otherwise, the professional development begun during my time here may not persist, as the teachers would not have enough practice with new ideas and methods.

2. Teach English lessons to Saaraketha’s youth club, the ECs, and/or local government officials
Status: Harshani is going to try to find 10-16 club members who can participate, beginning next week.
Caveats:
* We do not have enough English textbooks (Language in Use) to offer a class. I emailed Harshi about this issue and expect to hear from her tomorrow.
* If I teach a class from 12-2 every day to the youth club, plus from 3-6 to the teacher trainees, with preparation in the morning plus blogging and reflecting, that is basically the only thing that I can accomplish on that day. Therefore, if I teach 2 additional classes, Monday through Thursday, then the only thing I will be able to do in Wilgamuwa is teach. That is not a problem with me, but it prevents me from doing other things such as visiting schools, planning an English camp, preparing standard materials that future teacher trainees can use, and transitioning Elizabeth.
* I wonder about the curriculum for these courses. My instinct is that just teaching English from the textbook will be less engaging than project-based activities, but this depends somewhat on the level of the students. Two hours is a long time to do book learning but project-based learning requires some dexterity for the teachers.
* If we are only teaching 4-5 weeks, there should be a plan in advance for moving the time of the class from the morning – when I am currently free – to the afternoon when the local teachers are available. It may be difficult for people to free time in the morning for a few weeks and then just switch the time to later in the day.
* My proposal is to teach only one additional class, two days each week, which leaves me free to accomplish other tasks. When Elizabeth arrives, during the 7 days we are both in Wilgamuwa, we will be able to accomplish more
* With respect to the government officials, my proposal is to offer, instead of a formal class, one to three teas or workshops with more specific learning goal related more closely to what they currently use English for.

3. Conduct an English language camp for 20 youth from local schools
Status: Dilum and I met with Mr. Jayamaha, the local ELT administrator, where we discussed this idea and made more concrete plans for putting it into effect:
* We agreed tentatively on a date between July 21-25, to be determined
* When Elizabeth arrives, Mr. Jayamaha will arrange a meeting between us and the Wilgamuwa teachers who will participate. The local requirement is one credentialed teacher is supposed to be present for every 15 students.
* The local teachers will have to be involved in the planning of the activities.
o One idea is to show a movie – Mr. Jayamaha suggested The Sound of Music. After, the students can pick one song, learn the words and act them out.
o Competitions such as a scavenger hunt, telephone game, questioning activities where the students use English vocabulary collaboratively, with movement, and compete for prizes
o Reading scary stories
o They could have jobs/roles assigned to them during the camp
* To increase participation we discussed offering the camp to 40 students instead of 20. (Mr. Jayamaha pushed for 50 but I think that’s too many.)

4. Provide input in creating a learning atmosphere on the farm, learning center, e-library
Status: I have some specific suggestions or plans
* Facilitate the creation of an Association of Wilgamuwa English teachers (there are only 16) that can meet at Saaraketha and professionally develop themselves/plan activities
* Sponsor a “tea” for the English teachers every 4-6 weeks or whenever an English speaker is visiting to discuss some topic – not a lecture where they listen passively but a discussion where they actively participate. Even Prasanna, Charita, Dilum, Harshi could facilitate this tea.
* Movie nights to attract people to come to the Farm. At first, maybe just show the film. Later, organized discussions or conversations about the film could be done afterwards.
* Reading group – people agree to read a book or article on their own and then come to Saaraketha to discuss the book. Most publishers now publish reading group guides that can be printed off the internet and that have discussion questions and activities
* I will create some documents for the learning center that can be used in future teacher trainings or with students
* I will write protocols for using books and materials and replacing/restocking the learning center

5. Create a blog – saaraketha.blogspot.com

6. Promote potential partnerships with Saaraketha after I leave
Status: Some ideas that have already been raised include periodic Skype conversations with the 7 teachers, email exchanges with Sri Lanka and American students, and having Fulbright sponsor a teacher to come train with me in the U.S. These ideas are longer range plans that will likely be something that is part of a continuing conversation once I return to the U.S., rather than things that are finalized before I go. I will, however, get commitments from the 7 teacher trainees to email me regularly before I leave.

7. Submit a final report on experience with Saaraketha, outlining lessons learned and advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment